Saturday, August 23, 2008

Grapes, grapes, grapes!

I decided my grapes were ready for picking. I tasted one every other day, to see if they were just right. You see the leaves are chwed up some. We had a bad infestation of Japanese beetles, but they are gone now. Probably to reappear next year.
I had some really nice big bunches. I held a bunch with one hand and took the picture with the other. As you can see I didn't get the whole bunch on the pic.
These were all from one vine. There is another vine, a different kind, but still they taste like Concord. They weren't bothered by the beetles as much and they are usually bigger than this vine, but they taste the same. I picked them Friday afternoon and put them in the frig.
This is the end product. It was an all day project. After my morning walk I started. I had to wash them, pick them off the stems, crush them, and then simmer them, put them in a cloth draped over my container and drain the juice out. I had enough grapes for three batches. All total there are 23 regular size jellies and three jars that are 12 ounce jars. It was a big job and took me all day. I'm glad I have it finished. I will probably use the grapes from the other vine to make grape juice to can. I love home made grape juice. It is the best.

5 comments:

Katy said...

Your Grapes look really good. Ours don't taste very good at all. I told Ricky we should get rid of the vine but he thinks he's going to try and make wine. We'll see if he actually does it. I don't know what kind they are. Thank you for the Birthday Card. It was very nice. You always send them right on time. I'm glad you posted again too, I check your blog all the time.

Anonymous said...

wow, that's a lot of grapes. the pic you took of the bunch is a good one, very clear, you're getting to be a pro at this stuff. "talked" to mark yesterday. he called and the connection was awful so we "talked" on the computer. was good to hear from him

Christy said...

mmmm, looks good! Thank for putting all that time and effort in to your jellies for all your grandkids. We sure do apprecitate it!

Becky Walters said...

Yes, homemade grape juice is the BEST!! But Jimmy would say "Let's make wine"!!! the grapes looked really nice. And I am sure all the grand children enjoy the jelly.
Becky & Jimmy

Josh and Heidi Van Ee said...

Grandma, you are always staying busy! The grapes and jelly look great.