Thursday, July 2, 2009

Flowers, raspberries, & Kutztown Folk Festival

I get thrilled every year when my clematis blooms. It is always so full of blooms. Every spring I cut it down to the ground and that has all grown since spring.
Yes, it's that time again. I have made two batches of jelly, but had to but some at the auction. They are so expensive. The berries for one batch of jelly cost $24.00 and then the sugar and jars, am I crazy or what? I hardly ever use any myself- I just give it away. I will have to make at least another batch or two.

Wendell was asked to fill in with his banjo at the folk festival. The guy that usually plays with the group couldn't get off work. Wendell played with the group three shows a day, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Rita asked if I wanted to go along, so I did.
Here is Wendell doing a song and playing. The audience seemed to enjoy it.
Rita and I went to the quilt barn after the first show. I would have liked to take a lot of pics. The one at the top is a true Berks County pattern. They were all beautiful. Some prettier than others according to my eyes. I would hate to be a judge.
There were lots of food stands. This one was waffles and ice cream- if you can read the PA Dutch on the stand.
I decided to walk around when there were some other performers. This lady was telling the story of the various patches on this quilt and how they were used to guide the slaves on the underground railroad. All quilt designs have names. As the slaves were traveling north various quilts were hung out to let the slaves know if it was safe. Wendell had gone for the morning show. Rita picked me up after 11 and we watched both shows.

4 comments:

Beckywalters66@gmail.com said...

Wow Those are some really pretty quilts. I am sure they get a good price when they are auctioned.
We really had a nice visit with Phyllis & Andy last week as well as with Josh, Heidi & children.
Becky

Phyllis said...

I cut my clematis to the ground this spring, but it didn't come back at all. There's nothing there now.

Your raspberries look wonderful - nice picture!

And of course the quilts are beautiful, too. If you put all the quilts you have ever made in a show, how many would there be!!!

Love,
Phyllis

Katy said...

That's so interesting about the quilts and the underground railroad connection! Wow, your raspberries look delicious too :) See you next weekend.

Josh and Heidi Van Ee said...

It looks like an interesting folk festival. My dad told me I needed to check out your blog to see pictures from the folk festival. Maybe you can teach him to blog one of these days!!