Saturday, March 7, 2009

My trip to Big Valley

Wendell was going to the hunting camp for a work day. He asked if I wanted to go along and spend the day with Sallie. I said. "Sure". He said "I'm going in the dump truck. I said "OK" Amy, if you read this, it wasn't #110, the one you drove. We went in #112, the one Troy drives. Troy saw me Friday evening and said "Now don't you smoke in my truck". He thought he was funny.
This was the whole rig. The steps into the truck are so high, that Wendell had to push me up. They were fixing the road into the camp. Wendell took his equipment to a shale bank and loaded the dump truck, hauled it to camp and go for another load. Another of the camp members had a skid loader and some guys had shovels and rakes. I don't know how many loads he hauled, but I had to be at the shop at 6 A. M. in the morning to leave.

Wendell dropped me off at Peachey's on his way to camp. Sallie and about 11 frinds from the village were at Peachey's to celebrate birthdays. They had a breakfast buffet. It was so good and I hadn't eaten before we left. Oh, yes, Sallie's birthday is Sunday. The birthday girls get to eat free.
After we ate we went to Allensville and visited with Aunt Sis. I didn't take her picture. She said she hadn't taken time to comb her hair. She was baking raisin filled cookies to send to Miles, who is in Iraq now. Then we stopped to visit Ida King Peachey. She was a good friend of mine in grade school. We only write letters at Christmas. Ida's husband loved fishing. Over a year ago he had gone fishing and didn't come home. They went looking for him and found him dead in the stream where he was fishing. They had no children, but Ida has a lot of nieces and nephews. One of them built a house for her that has a breezeway between the two homes. She had told me she would be moving and wanted me to visit her sometime. She has a lovely place and is happy to be settled there.
Here is another picture of Ida and me. Sallie had never used a digital camera, but she did OK. I really enjoyed my time with Sallie. In two weeks Wendell will be going again. Sallie said if I come along, she will try to have a get together of our old Sunday School class when we were young. Some of them are no longer living and some go to other churches since they were married.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Looks like fun!

Katy said...

Ricky just mentioned tonight that you had gone with uncle wendell to do that. glad you had fun, I hope you listened to Troy and didn't smoke in his truck, that is so funny:) I remember when mom came up to visit and see my truck one time I had to push her up in it too. I wonder how I was able to get in it? I'm not that much taller than you guys.

Becky Walters said...

Hey Nancy,
Just checked out your blog and saw you were in Big Valley. How "kool" to go up in that big truck! That was really nice of Wendell to go up there with his equipment and help with the road. You really need a step ladder to get in and out of the truck.
Becky

Phyllis said...

You are a "groovy gran" - always doing something interesting!

Anonymous said...

that's right, I forgot you were going up there in the dump truck. Looks like you had a great time. Just got off the phone w/Mandy, Joel's due in Tues morn at 6. will let you know. having a great relaxing time here.